Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2005

An open letter to Channel Four

Dear Channel Four Bosses,

Much as I enjoy some of the programmes on your delightful channel, I have of late found myself avoiding large chunks of your output due to one issue: something I like to call the "chronically unfunny so-called comedian presenter" factor.

First, there was the comedy abortion that is Jimmy Carr, a man so devoid of humour that he can bang his elbow and feel no pain. For a while it seemed as though the entire channel was devoted to this monstrosity, so omnipresent had he become.

Then, just when it almost seemed safe to switch on the TV again, a new horror was unleashed, one which I believed had been lurking in the wilderness of the BBC's digital output. A bearded, endlessly shouting yokel halfwit by the name of Justin Lee Collins has seemingly replaced Carr in the affections of your comedy commissioners (who must presumably live utterly depraved lives allowing any old dodgy stand-up to rake up some pretty good blackmail material).

OMG, he's so funny, he's even UPSIDE DOWN! Oh the hilarity! Rock n roll!

This past week has been particularly painful, with the beardy twat barely off the screen: every night in new show FAQ U (cos, like, faq sounds a bit like fuck! Hilarious!), and also in some dodgy TV nostalgia nonsense - great! Thanks for that!

But no, really, I'm obviously mistaken, he's clearly a comedic genius. Just listen to this fantastic quote from last night (the remote control must have been out of reach...) "I like it when I say Bush. Cos, like, it's really funny every time I say it. Bush!" Wow. Fantastic. But then, this is a man who thinks the height of comic excellence is to add "rock n roll!" to the end of every second sentence. God help us all...

So please, Channel Four, don't turn him into another Jimmy Carr, I really don't want to have to throw a brick at the TV, I can't afford a new one. Just keep him off the screen, find a nice job for him making tea for that nice Jon Snow off the news, that'll keep him occupied.

No comments: