Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2007

It's a family affair

So, as the self-appointed family historian, I've been working on the family tree for a few years now. Some lines are easier than others (the McKennas refuse to reveal their whereabouts prior to 1919, whereas unlikely as it may seem, my Smiths were an absolute dream). I've got notes scattered across about eight different notepads, a growing collection of certificates and census results downloaded from Scotland's People, and at least some of it compiled in my favourite of the many genealogical programs catering for the increasing interest in family origins.

I do, however, have a problem. A while ago, the PC had a hissy fit and needed a complete reboot (it's since been upgraded - well, in a did-it-myself-cobbled-together kind of way, anyway). Naturally, I hadn't backed up the family tree stuff beforehand, so months of work went swiftly down the drain. I'm only just starting to get into it all again, and I've found a little anomaly.

My great-grandfather was a chap named Peter Milne Tough. His parents were John Tough and Mary Pringle Smith, and I have details of their marriage, and her family quite a few generations back. I also have a copy of John Tough's parents' wedding certificate, and some details on the Milne line. However, somewhere along the line, I've also acquired details of another John Tough, born at about the same time. This one was born to a Robert Tough and Ann Ledingham, so, unless the details on John's own wedding day were incorrect (it's not unheard of - I have a black sheep in one line who was being declared dead to census-takers before his time, and whose name is mysteriously replaced or omitted in later years. He worked as a billiard marker, which in the edition of the BBC's genealogy show "Who Do You Think You Are" featuring Jane Horrocks, was explained to be a somewhat disreputable profession. I think there must be more to it than that though; if no nefarious goings-on come to light I'll be a little disappointed), this lot are nothing to do with my family.

Naturally, there's no explanation anywhere in my notes: the names just appear from nowhere, with no explanation of where exactly they are meant to fit. I can only assume that a rogue IGI search turned up a possible birth for my John Tough, and I pursued it to the extent of paying for documentation without stopping to think a little first. Most unlike me, I must say. The moral of the story is - always take clear notes, explain who the hell the people mentioned are, and don't go using up precious credits on Scotland's People before you're sure that the name is the right one. And of course, back up your work. Almost forgot that one. Again.

Addendum: if, by chance, a reader has links to anyone named Johnstone Little, either in Paisley in Renfrewshire, in Dublin, or in Canada, please get in touch, you just found yourself a relation.

No comments: