Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Call me paranoid, but...

...my mobile phone has been out of action all day, with an annoying "no service" message greeting me when I try to use the damn thing.
I live about 20 miles north of Gleneagles, site of this week's G8 conference.
Coincidence?

I can see how blocking the use of mobiles could be useful to The Man in such a situation, but would they have the technology to do so? Are there any paranoid gadgetry experts out there who know about such things? And if they could do it, would they? (okay, I think I know the answer to that one already...)


At least today I haven't been treated to a low-flying military air display - I could have sworn they were having pretend dogfights up there at one point yesterday. Apparently the US Airforce are over on Dubya-protecting duties, so maybe it was them forgetting that people actually live here - the RAF boys tend to be a little bit more considerate (and there's something you don't hear every day).

This is one of the very few times in my life when I actually wish I could drive - it would be most interesting to take to the minor country roads and see exactly how close I could get without being stopped. I see from this handy little map that apparently some routes are still open, though you would have to annoy nice Mr Farmer at some point to get really close. It could be entertaining trying though...

1 comment:

betsie said...

...or, alternatively, it could just have been my damn phone doing one of its usual "let's really annoy her by making some randomly-chosen feature stop working for no apparent reason, that'll really wind her up, hahahahahaha!!!" schtick. It's a crappy piece of junk, I'm never buying a Motorola phone again.
Oh, and thanks, G8 security chaps, I really wanted woken up at 6am by helicopters flying overhead...