Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Radio Radio

I'm listening to Tom Morton on Radio Scotland at the minute. I used to take the start of his show as a cue to switch the radio off, and in true Why Don't You style, do something more interesting instead (the programme itself had the same effect: tragically inept children presenters tend to have that effect I find), but I've discovered that if I blank out the high proportion of Dadrock, there's actually some good music to be heard there.
Apparently, Mr Morton has recently taken over scripting duties for that fine Scottish institution, The Broons. Well, I'm black-affronted! Whatever that means.... The Broons and Oor Wullie used to be the only thing worth reading in the couthy alternate universe of the Sunday Post, and I strongly suspect that may still be the case. Tommy Turner lookalike Paw and Grandpaw were always sneaking off somewhere to smoke their pipes safe from the approbation of Maw, frequent trips were made to the famous but n ben, and the Twins and the Bairn never did have real names. And there was the yearly treat of the annual to look forward to, which, at least in my youth, alternated years between the two strips. I'm getting all nostalgic just thinking about them. Now if only I had a nice drink of cremola foam to hand, I'd be all set for a trip down memory lane...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well.. I'm 8 months too late with this, but I do have a Broons cartoon from 1940 where one twin calls his brother "Eck".

So