Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Help, I'm addicted...

I discovered SLEUTH last night, and I've been in it's evil grip ever since - I always wanted to be a detective in ye olden days (too much Agatha Christie and Raymond Chandler at an impressionable age, I fear) and now I can! Oh the excitement! I'm sure the amusement will wear off, but for now this is officially My Favourite Website - Ever!

Stupid quotes section: some foreign footballer, apparently at Arsenal, don't ask me who, I'm not up on such things these days - "Football is a game where sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you draw." Well thanks for that, I'd never have known otherwise...

Hate-filled rant section: will someone please discover what blackmail material so-called comedian Jimmy Carr has on the Channel 4 programme commissioners, thus freeing a grateful nation from his odious presence on every single show. I would gladly pay for a guarantee that my screen will be free of the sight of the smug, snide fat-face cunt. His pitiful attempts at humour bring me out in a rash, and any inanimate objects within reach are in danger of being hurled at the television. I await with bated breath the day I pick up a newspaper to read of a brutal attack having been committed on him, or perhaps a tragic aerial-related mishap a la Rod Hull. If any violent sociopaths should happen to read this, feel free to track him down - he spilled your pint and has to suffer...

2 comments:

vonhiggins said...

Why not channel this impulse (gk. "orexis" - my intended meaning) into more formal writing? It is clear you are capable. Having something to say is requisite. This you certainly have. Also, the spirited reversal from praise to blame is evidence, and so is the recollection of childhood innocence, that this energy is ulterior but ready to emerge, rational, tending toward the good (gk. "boulesis"). Wonder at the subterranean energy implied by the ecstatic prose in Nabokov's "Lolita" for example. He somehow had control of the intoxication. To get control of the impulse is the rub...to bring order out of chaos...a high aspiration...many of us will fail.

vonhiggins said...

Please excuse the inordinate usage above. Words like impulse, desire, energy are vague. Could I have used the Leibnizian "appetition"? Awkward. So too, my treatment of the subject matter.