Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The new suede skirt

Note to self: I really need to stop buying mini-skirts, I'm getting a bit too old for such things. However, this was no ordinary skirt: no, this was (almost) the skirt I've been dreaming about for years. Let me explain..

When I was a small child, one of my very favourite things to do was play with my dressing-up box. This was an old wicker number, filled to the brim (or was that just my amazing packing skills making an early appearance?) with my mum's discarded 1970s outfits. There was a grand selection - the yellow polka dot jacket and skirt combo was a real winner, and the baby blue platform shoes were great fun to fall over in. One piece, however, stood head and shoulders over the rest: the brown suede wrapover miniskirt. It was a real beauty, and delightfully tactile. How I longed for the day when I'd be big enough to wear it properly!

However, fate was not on my side. By the time I'd finally grown up enough to nab it, someone had purged that box of wonders. My skirt was gone, and I was devastated. Ever since then, I've been on a lookout for the mythical suede number, but nothing has ever quite measured up. The green one is nice, but it's green. Various other soft fabrics have tried to act as substitute, but they really haven't measured up. Even this new one isn't quite right - it's not got the wrapover thing going on - but it is brown, suede, and only cost a fiver, so I guess it'll do for now..

5 comments:

Greg said...

Please don't say you're getting too old for miniskirts. That would probably mean I'm getting too old to wear tight jeans and I'd hate that.

betsie said...

Ha! The inappropriately-clad shall inherit the earth!

daWitchDocteh said...

oh oh oh dat leidy only be shoppin da miniskirt. daWitchDocteh tinks dat be leevin dem titties unrapped!

betsie said...

I regret to inform you, dear docteh, that the titties in question were, in fact, well covered. After all, I wouldn't want to put someone's eye out, would I?

Greg said...

"The inappropriately-clad shall inherit the earth" - Amen, sister!