Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2007

My Childhood Hell, part one

Bookstores these days have entire sections devoted to "Tragic Life Stories", so, never one to shy from extremely belatedly jumping on a tawdry bandwagon, it's time to share some of my own youthful traumas.

Number one - I live to dance!

Way back in the mists of time, I wanted to be a ballerina. I believe this syndrome is commonly referred to as "being a girl". Accordingly, I was signed up for ballet and tap lessons at the local community centre. I think my mum still has my turquoise leotard with added frills and tiny ballet shoes lurking somewhere. So anyway, it was most enjoyable (tap more so, as it happens, it's great fun), and I even got some crappy medals via the yearly exams.

As a dancing fan, I was naturally very keen when my parents asked if I'd like to go and see Scottish Ballet perform as a birthday treat. Yes! Of course I would! What could be better?

Well, this certainly couldn't.














Having built up my hopes, the evil grown-ups then either couldn't get hold of/baulked at the price of the ballet tickets (I know which one my money's on). So, instead, I was taken along to see Keith Harris and Orville.

Yeah, thanks.

On a related note, my dancing days soon came to a premature end when shooting leg pains associated with flat feet made it far too painful to continue. Oh the hardship etc.


By the way, for a proper antidote to all the tales of woe cluttering up the bookshelves, I heartily reccommend this delightful tome: Andrew Collins - Where Did It All Go Right?

No comments: